"Vigorously told deceptions and battle scenes." ~Publishers Weekly review of Eolyn

"The characters are at their best when the events engulfing them are at their worst." ~Publishers Weekly review of High Maga

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sequels and Secrets

Here's the most difficult part about writing the companion novel to Eolyn

Every so often -- actually, more often than not -- I get very excited about something that just happened in the story, and I want to tell the world about it. 

I can't, of course.  Because these are the plot reveals and little details that will make the story rich and surprising for the reader, and as the author I have a moral (and commercial) obligation not to spoil that experience.  So I must bite my tongue, and sit patiently on all the delicious secrets of High Maga until the day you discover them for yourself and can let me know what you think. 

This is one of the reasons why I think I will always be a writer who needs to run in a pack; to have companion authors with whom to share the thrill of discovery involved in story telling.  People who can also help chart the course of the story, and tell me whether that 'brilliant' idea I just had really is brilliant, or whether it's a dud that would best be deleted before the larger public discovers just how bad a draft can be.  I'm very grateful to have companions in writing at the moment.  So thank you, Companions -- you know who you are -- for sharing the adventure.

I've been spending an inordinate number of weeks trying to figure out what Sir Drostan would do next, as part of a battle scene I'm crafting for the new novel.  Yesterday I had a chance to sit down with it again, and I think I am very very close to at last pulling all the threads together and making the scene work the way I want it to.  When I finish with Drostan, we'll be at about 105K for the current novel.  I'm estimating High Maga will wrap up at about 130K, though it may extend a shade longer than that.  If everything works out as planned, we will know by this summer.

Last week was a good week for Eolyn  on Amazon, as customers posted three more five-star reviews.  Here's what one of them had to say:

"It amazes me when I read a book that can transport me into a new world.  I loved this book...it was wonderful...delightful...exciting...I couldn't put it down and was surprised with the unpredictable ending.  I can only hope that there is continuation of the Eolyn saga!  PLEASE GIVE US MORE!"

What can I say?  It gives me a great feeling to read such positive feedback, and a lot of motivation to keep writing.

On Heroines of Fantasy this week, guest author Sandra McDonald picks up the topic started by Kim Vandervort last week, with her post Sensible Clothing for Heroines.  Please stop by to read and comment.

Also, remember Down to Earth 2012 is just around the corner, and Eolyn's birthday bash will follow soon after that. Stay tuned for more details.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you are in for a great week.