"Vigorously told deceptions and battle scenes." ~Publishers Weekly review of Eolyn

"The characters are at their best when the events engulfing them are at their worst." ~Publishers Weekly review of High Maga

Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Week at Andrews Experimental Forest


This is going to be a short post today; more than anything I want to set the stage for the coming week, which will be devoted by my residency at the HW Andrews Experimental Forest in Oregon.  Andrews is located inside Willamette National Forest.  This will be my first time visiting the rain forests of the Pacific Northwest, and I am very excited.  It's the perfect follow-up to the launch of EOLYN; to immerse myself in the type of ecosystem that so inspired this novel, and to reflect once again on the influence of the forest to on that very special magic we call imagination.

Tomorrow, we fly to Portland, where I will do a book signing for EOLYN in the afternoon, starting at 5pm at Powell's Books at Cedar Hills Crossing.   On Monday, we'll drive up through Eugene to Andrews.  Once we're settled at the experimental station, I will post daily reflections based on our experience there, cross-posting to my livejournal blog as well.  I'm not really sure what will come of this week -- we'll see where the muse takes me -- but I'm expecting to gain some insights not only into the forest, but into my own process as a writer, and hopefully produce a few new stories as well.

Please join me for the adventure in Andrews Forest by visiting the blog whenever you have a chance.  It's going to be a great week!