"Vigorously told deceptions and battle scenes." ~Publishers Weekly review of Eolyn

"The characters are at their best when the events engulfing them are at their worst." ~Publishers Weekly review of High Maga

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Back to the South Woods

Me in Las Cruces, a few years back.
Some things never change, and my love
for those trees is one of them.
The days are going by fast in this short respite between when spring semester ends and my field season in Costa Rica begins.  This summer I will be participating once again in the Native American and Pacific Islander Research Experience (NAPIRE) Program.  As a research mentor, I'll be supervising the work of three students at Las Cruces Biological Station, a small piece of paradise located in southern Costa Rica, near the border with Panama.

It's been only two years since I participated in NAPIRE, yet it seems like so much longer.  The last time I went to Las Cruces, I had just begun this blog, and signed my first contract with Hadley Rille Books.  Since then, Eolyn has been published, and that one seemingly small event has changed so much in my life, internally and externally, in the way I organize my time and my priorities, in what I want for the future, and how I see myself.  I don't know if any of this will impact my experience at Las Cruces, but it's certainly a moment that has allowed me to see my life is still changing, and I along with it.

I'm invariably inspired to write fun stuff whenever I'm in the woods, so please return to this blog in the coming weeks, so I can share my adventure in the tropics with you.  

In other news, this Saturday I will be at the 6th Annual Author Extravaganza in Emporia, KS.  This event is hosted by the Town Crier Bookstore, and is a celebration of Kansas authors of all genres, and from all walks of life.  If you are in the area, please stop by to visit and meet the authors.  Books will be available for purchase and signing.

This week, I joined the Magic Appreciation Tour and Book Sale.  This is an on-line event, so you can enjoy it wherever you are.  Stop by to meet authors of magical fantasy and find some great summer reading to boot.  The Tour and Book Sale will last until June 30.

I'm getting very excited about WorldCon in Chicago at the end of August.  A couple days ago, I received the list of panels, and they all look great.  I've thrown my hat in the ring to participate in more than a few; as soon as my panels and schedule are confirmed, I'll be sure to post it on this site.

Terri-Lynne DeFino is up this week over at Heroines of Fantasy, and she wants to know what you are doing for yourself.  Stop by to tell her about your plans.  (And if you don't have any plans for yourself, then now is the time to make them!)

I've put together a fun post for next week on Heroines of Fantasy, about some of the non-fantasy books that have most inspired my work, and especially my work with Eolyn.  That post will go live on Monday, June 18.  I hope you will take a moment to visit me there and tell me a little about the books that have most inspired you.

I thought this was going to be a short post, but I guess I did have a lot to talk about!  Next time you see me here, I'll be writing from Costa Rica.  Pura Vida!