"Vigorously told deceptions and battle scenes." ~Publishers Weekly review of Eolyn

"The characters are at their best when the events engulfing them are at their worst." ~Publishers Weekly review of High Maga

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My New Beginning

There's a Minneapolis group called Semisonic (formerly Trip Shakespeare) which for various reasons has long been close to my heart. I've got one of their songs, 'Closing Time' running repeatedly through my head lately, and my mind always returns to the same verse:

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Today I had a beginning that was also an end. I held in my hands, for the very first time, a trade paperback entitled EOLYN, published by Hadley Rille Books. ISBN13-978-0-9829467-9-4. Written by Karin Rita Gastreich. Edited by Eric T. Reynolds. Cover art by Jesse Smolover. Cover design by Melissa J. Lytton. With a map of the Kingdom of Moisehén by Ginger Prewitt.

It is the end of my journey of writing EOLYN, and the beginning of my journey of sharing her with the world. I am thoroughly excited, moved to tears. Happy and sad -- and hopeful -- at the same time. Hopeful that she will bring as much joy to you, the reader, as she has brought to me during the last four-and-a-half years.

One week from Friday, on April 29th, Avila University will host a pre-launch party for the novel at the Hooley-Bundschu Library, starting at 7pm. I am so happy that I will have the opportunity, seven days before the official release date, to share this magic with the Avila community, where I have taught biology and related topics to many wonderful students for nearly eight semesters. Avila student Shawna Westphal has designed two great posters for the event. This one, which I think captures very nicely Avila's family style:

 And this one, which invokes a more dramatic mood:




It's been really great working with Shawna and all the folks at the Avila library.  I know we're going to have a great evening, and if you're in the Kansas City area, I hope you'll come and join us.  For those of you who can't make it -- stay tuned to this blog, as I'll be telling you all about it, and plan to post audiorecordings of the readings for your enjoyment. 

I keep thinking, as I turn the book over in my hands, "Isn't there something else left for me to do on this?"  But there isn't.  Not with this manuscript, at any rate.  That beginning has now ended; a new beginning is on the horizon.  It's time for us to celebrate, enjoy the fruits of this labor, and step forward into the next adventure. . .