"Vigorously told deceptions and battle scenes." ~Publishers Weekly review of Eolyn

"The characters are at their best when the events engulfing them are at their worst." ~Publishers Weekly review of High Maga

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Women and Science Fiction

This week, for a change of pace, I'd like to direct you to a wonderful interview with science fiction author Pamela Sargent on Heroines of Fantasy
 
Pamela is a prolific author and winner of the Hugo, Nebula and Pilgrim awards.  She has also published several anthologies featuring women authors of science fiction.  Her novel Earthseed is currently being adapted for the big screen.  Read our interview with Pamela to learn what inspired her to write science fiction, as well as her thoughts on the past, present, and future of the genre.

Those of you who are looking for news about High Maga, the companion novel to Eolyn, I'm happy to report the manuscript is coming along nicely.  Author and editor Terri-Lynne DeFino has been kind enough to do a beta read for me, and now I'm working through her comments and edits in preparation for sending the draft back out for a few more beta reads. 

Terri is one of my most loyal fans, but also one of my harshest critics (a great combination to have in a critique partner). Her standards as a reader of fantasy are high.  So when she said High Maga is "fabulous" -- right before she [ahem] told me all the things that need to be fixed -- it made me very happy. 

Terri's edits are making the manuscript stronger, more complex in some ways, but tighter at the same time, which is very exciting.  I really am looking forward to sharing this novel with the world, but of course there are many steps left to complete before it can come to press.  Though the biggest job, getting it done, is just about over. 

In the meantime, if you are anxious for previews of High Maga, please visit and friend my Facebook page for Eolyn, where I've begun posting quotes from the new novel.  I will also post chapter one right here on this blog in the not-so-distant future, so stay tuned for that.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Next week I'll continue the series on Women and Science with a post about Hypatia, a fourth century woman mathematician who lived, taught, and died in the city of Alexandria.