"Vigorously told deceptions and battle scenes." ~Publishers Weekly review of Eolyn

"The characters are at their best when the events engulfing them are at their worst." ~Publishers Weekly review of High Maga

Monday, April 2, 2012

Winter Has Come

We had a mild winter this year in Kansas City; too many warm days, not a single memorable snow storm or ice storm.  Perhaps I should not complain, and while I was taking my winter walks through the parks I did not, but now with spring temperatures already pushing into the 80s (upper 20s, for those of you living outside the US), I wish that winter had been a little more insistent with its icy grip.  And that summer were not pounding on the door so aggressively, and so soon.

This is one of many reasons I'm grateful for places of the imagination like Westeros, where winter is always on the way.  And why it was especially refreshing to see all my favorite characters return to the TV screen last night, when HBO premiered the second season of George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones.  Many of them were suffering warmer climes, like me, but others were wrapped in capes and furs, with frost on their breath.  I could almost feel the chill in the air (or was that just the weekend flu I had getting into my bones?).

Well, I have sung Martin's praises many times on this blog already, so I won't get started again today, except to say Thank you, Lord Martin, for this wonderfully rich world of imagination that you've shared with us, in words and now in images.  Thank you for spicing our summers with a little bit of wintry adventure.  

I am so looking forward to every episode of season 2.

Those of you who are longing for an escape from the winter cruelties of Westeros should check out Heroines of Fantasy this week, where Terri-Lynne DeFino tells us all about paradise.

And if you or a friend are need of magic and adventure at an affordable price, check out Hadley Rille Books ebook sale, which started last weekend and will probably end today.  Kindle and Nook editions of all their titles are available for just $0.99.  You can browse HRB's ebook titles at their website, or order Eolyn direct from Amazon

High Maga, the companion novel to Eolyn topped 105K last week, and I have a working outline now for the remaining chapters, which I think will require 25-30K to complete.  So, we are getting close.  Of course, the final stretch is always the longest.  You'll be hearing more about it in upcoming posts.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you are in for a wintry week.