"Vigorously told deceptions and battle scenes." ~Publishers Weekly review of Eolyn

"The characters are at their best when the events engulfing them are at their worst." ~Publishers Weekly review of High Maga

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Virgina Beach

I'm at an annual writing retreat with 9 amazing women authors at Virginia Beach.  The focus of this week is 'real' writing -- not blog writing, not email writing, not FB writing, and certainly not Twitter writing. 

So it'll be hard for you to find me on any of the usual social networks over the next few days. I am trying very hard to focus all my energies on Daughter of Aithne.  (And I'm having some success -- over 4500 words so far this week!)

In lieu of a regular post, I do have a special treat.  A new preview has been posted for High Maga

You can thank one of my editors, Terri-Lynne DeFino, for this surprise.  A recent consultation with her has resulted in a new arrangement for the opening chapters of the novel.  What used to be chapter one has now been moved elsewhere; what used to be chapter three will now be read first.

If you've already read the old preview, this means you get to indulge in a brand new excerpt from the novel!  (And yes, that old preview will still be part of High Maga; it's just been moved to a slightly different place.) 

If you didn't read the old preview, don't worry.  I'll be posting excerpts from it in the months to come.  The other good news is that the new preview involves fewer spoilers than the old one, so if you haven't yet read Eolyn, you are less likely to run any big risks by peeking at this excerpt from High Maga.

So, check out the new preview!  I know you'll enjoy it.

If you're still hungry to read a true blog post, I invite you to visit Heroines of Fantasy this week, where Mark Nelson offers a wonderful reflection on the Magical Libraries of our minds.

Have a great rest of the week.  Summer is almost here!